1. Cabbage: A versatile, healthy vegetable, cabbage has many admiring qualities. Studies show that it may prevent heart disease and cancer. Cabbage is loaded with fiber, which makes it great for shedding weight. The almighty cabbage soup is a dieter’s safe haven. There are many varieties of cabbage to choose from; pick locally-grown organic cabbage from your local farmers market. One leaf (about ½ ounce) of raw cabbage is only 4 calories.
2. Asparagus: Tasty green spears wrapped in bacon… whoa! Back up… No bacon allowed! Choose fresh asparagus. Steam to perfection, grill it, or add to your favorite salad. The fiber will help to melt pounds. No butter, no additives (definitely no bacon), to make asparagus a zero-calorie food. One 2-inch spear of raw asparagus is only 1 calorie.
3. Mushrooms: Not everyone likes mushrooms, but for those who do, you have chosen wisely! Mushrooms are versatile, nutritious, and good for you. There are so many varieties to choose from. One slice of a raw white mushroom is only 1 calorie.
4. Cucumbers: Also known as ‘cukes’ in my part of the world, cucumbers are totally awesome. Sliced in onions and vinegar, or diced for a salad, you can’t go wrong with cucumbers. One cup of raw sliced cucumbers (with the skin) is only 16 calories.
5. Beets: Beets are truly a superfood. Dark purple goodness makes this root vegetable vitamin heaven. Good for so many conditions and ailments, beets can be eaten raw, steamed, grilled, etc. A 2-inch beet is only 37 calories. If you get bored of eating raw beets, try pickled beets. They can be low in calories, which is a tasty variation to keep you on your diet.
6. Cauliflower: One of my favorite garden vegetables, we “pin” their big leaves over the top of the exposed white cauliflower so the sun doesn’t turn it yellow. That’s how we keep our cauliflower white. Delicious right out of the garden, 1 raw cauliflower floret has only 3 calories.
7. Tomatoes: So versatile, so delicious. A cherry tomato is like candy to a die-hard dieter. Boiled, raw, sliced, diced, shredded, chopped… any way you like it, tomatoes are the bomb. Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and your favorite seasoning to create a wonderful salsa or summer salad. One cherry tomato is only 3 calories.
8. Parsnips: Parsnips aren’t exactly a fan-favourite vegetable, but they’re a surprisingly wonderful alternative to boiled mashed potatoes. ½ cup raw, sliced parsnips is 50 calories.
9. Zucchini: Grilled, sautéed or baked, zucchinis are one of those easy, go-to vegetables to always keep in your fridge. One slice of raw zucchini with the skin is only 2 calories.